Who may apply for Nursing Home Medicaid?
The individual or their designated representative may apply. If there is a legal guardian, the guardian must apply unless the legal guardian fails to cooperate or cannot be located. Some eligibility requirements include:
- Be 65 or older or disabled as determined by Social Security criteria.
- Be a U.S. citizen or qualified noncitizen.
- Be a Florida resident.
- Have a Social Security number or apply for one.
- File for any other benefits for which you may be eligible (i.e., pensions, retirement, disability benefits, etc).
- Tell DCF about other third party medical coverage (i.e., health insurance).
- Be determined to be in need of nursing facility services.
- Be placed in a nursing home that participates in the Medicaid program.
- Have assets and income within the program limit.